Today I got to hand out my first reconsideration form to a patron who was unhappy with a book on our shelves. Interestingly, the book was not offensive because of the sex, violence, or language it contained. The patron was incensed because the book was "inaccurate" and had no place on the shelves. This was the book:
The thing that was most interesting about this is that the book had the word "conspiracy" in the title, which would have made me take it with a grain of salt anyway. However, we respectfully gave him a form to fill out, and the book will be submitted for consideration, where a committee will read it and decide whether it will remain on the shelf. It probably will. (I think most books do.)
I also got held up with a patron today who was telling me all about how we are ruining our eyes with the color of lights we have in most places - specifically in the library. Apparently, we should have full-spectrum lights to save ourselves from going blind. She was wearing dark glasses and wanted to know how the lightbulbs around the desk were changed because we needed to get rid of that horrible yellow color, which was nothing like daylight. After I'd been there for a few minutes, one of the other librarians called me over with a phone call. Bless B in circulation for asking me to come and "run an errand" for her by the drive up.
"That patron is difficult to get away from," she said, "so I'd like you to come back to the drive up for a minute."
"Oh, okay," I said, "I'll be right there to help you with that."
When I went back, she introduced herself and then had me wait by the drive up window until the patron left. What a wonderful group of people librarians are.
Other than that, it was a fantastic day. I got to help lots of people with their computers and copiers, placed lots of holds, amazed a few people with my powers of finding things, restocked the staff picks shelf, and started a list for Teen Read Week, "Books With Beat." So far I've found seven novels that center around teens and music. 3-8 to go.
