The library has been slow for the past week. It could be a change in the weather or a change in the seasons, or it could just be a fluke of public service, but I confess it always makes me a little nervous. There are plenty of people using computers and checking things out, but I'm always just a little afraid of becoming irrelevant when there aren't very many people coming to the reference desk. I always make sure that I smile and look available when people come near the desk. I'd hate to have someone think I'm too busy to help them when I'm actually reading my 100th review on NoveList.
On the other hand, there are still satisfying interactions, even on slow days. I love it when I direct someone to a section and see them leaving with a stack of books and a smile. Today I directed a lady to travel books about Maine, and she was thrilled when she left, ready to plan her vacation. That, my friends, is why I love libraries. That stack would have cost $75 at a bookstore, and she's got tons of information to peruse for free. I know that seems obvious, but it still kind of warms my heart. I hope it's a great vacation.
Today we also had a gentleman come in with a law question, which made me a little panicky. After searching for a couple of minutes, I called over one of the other librarians, who suggested that I call the Indiana Room and also referred the patron to the IU Law library. Brilliant, simple, and in my panicked state about my lack of knowledge, I didn't think of it at all. Note to future self: sometimes the best answer is a referral to someone who actually knows what they're doing.